Jump the queue, get Bangalore University certificates online
Thousands of students who graduate from Bangalore University (BU) every year and have to go through a lot of hassles to get the convocation certificates have a reason to rejoice.
The university, in a first-of-its-kind measure, has launched an online portal where students can apply for their convocation certificates, pay through the Payment Gateway, view and verify the particulars, before downloading the certificates.
Students need not even keep track of the status of their applications. The team managing the portal will contact the applicant if any errors crop up.
The initiative is rolled out in association with MeritTrac Services, a testing and examination services company. In the first phase, it will provide certificates to students who have passed out in 2010 (students who are eligible to get certificates in the 45th main and mini convocations).
In the second phase, which begins after the first phase is over, all previous and subsequent students can apply.
Announcing the initiative at a press conference on Wednesday, Vice-Chancellor N Prabhu Dev said that the applicant would have to shell out Rs 17 more for the facility. While Rs 300 would be the convocation fee, Rs 15 would be paid to the said company and Rs 2 would be collected as service charge, Dev explained.
The e-convocation certificates, however, will be valid only till the main annual convocation is held in which students will have to get the original certificates. The e-convocation certificate will currently be valid till March 31, 2011.
They will also receive the original certificates at the address they provide in the online portal. As the entire process will be verified by BU officials in the backend, there will be little room for delays. According to a MeritTrac Services official, if the candidate's particulars are in order, the application will be processed within three hours on a working day. At the most, it will take a day.
"The service will not only benefit the students, but also eliminate unnecessary administrative procedures and delays," Dev observed.
How does it work?
- Applicants can access the e-convocation certificate service by clicking on the relevant link on www.bub.ernet.in.
- They will have to enter their BU registration number and furnish personal details such as address and contact information.
- They can pay the fee online by credit/debit card/net banking. (Currently, payment can be made only through credit card).
- Once the applicant successfully makes the payment and the transaction is approved by BU officials, the e-convocation certificate can be seen in the 'preview' mode.
- The applicant, at this juncture, will have to verify the particulars and confirm its authenticity.
- After this, the final certificate can be downloaded.