Actor Upendra’s return to direction after ten long years has paid off big time.
For, his film ‘Super,’ which was a success at the box office, besides earning him rave reviews from critics, has now bagged the State award 2010-11 in the ‘Best Film’ category.
Puneet Rajkumar and Kalyani have been adjudged ‘Best Actor’ and ‘Best Actress’ for their roles in films ‘Prithvi’ and ‘Suicide’ respectively.
Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda, who announced the State awards in Bangalore on Thursday, said the awards selection committee has chosen ‘Bhagavati Kaadu’ and ‘Shabdamani’ as the second and third best films.
Gowda said both Upendra and the producer of the movie Rockline Venkatesh would receive Rs one lakh cash award along with a 50-gm gold medal and plaque each.
The producers and directors of ‘Bhagavati Kaadu’ and ‘Shabdamani’ will receive Rs 75,000 cash award and 100-gm silver medal and plaque, and Rs 50,000 cash award, 100-gm silver medal and plaque, respectively. While ‘Bhagavathi Kaadu’ has been directed by K K Shivarudrayya, ‘Shabdamani’ was directed by Renu Kumar.
The three films, in the ‘Best Film’ category were chosen because of their impact on the society, and their consideration of Karnataka’s social, cultural and political nuances.
The ten-member committee headed by actor Bharathi Vishnuvardhan has chosen 30 awards, including the special jury award (Ayesha for Jai Hai), said Gowda.
The committee chose these awards from the 52 films released during the year. The chief minister said remake films and films dubbed into Kannada were not considered for the awards.
The members of the awards committee have suggested that the government should amend the rules and accept digital prints of films applying for the awards. Presently, filmmakers submit reels of their films.
They have also recommended that awards should also be introduced for categories ‘costume designer’, ‘villain’, ‘sound recordist’ (recording live sound) and ‘choreographer.’
The government has not yet announced the date and venue for presenting the awards.Best in business
* Best film – Super; Second best film – Bhagavati Kaadu; Third best film – Shabdamani
* Film with Best social message – Tarangini
* Children’s film – Nanna Gopala
* Best actor – Puneet Rajkumar (Prithvi)
* Best actress – Kalyani (Suicide)
* Actor in supporting role – Ramesh Bhatt (Uyyale)
* Actress in supporting role – Vijayalakshmi Singh (Veeraparampare)
* Dubbing, male – Sringeri Ramanna (Veerabahu)
* Dubbing female – Sashikala (Shabdamani)
* Story – Agni Sridhar (Tamassu)
* Screenplay – B Suresh (Puttakkana Highway)
*Dialogue – Baraguru Ramachandrappa (Bhoomi Thayi)
* Cinematographer – Sathya V Hegde (Sanju Weds Geetha)
* Music director – Gurukiran (Mylari)
* Sound – Anand (Sanju Weds Geetha)
* Editing – Johnny Harsha (Sanju Weds Geetha)
* Child artiste, male – V Anil Kumar (Nanna Gopala)
* Child artiste, fem ale – Baby Prakruthi (Hejjegalu)
* Art direction – Hosamane Murthy (Olave Mandara)
* Lyrics – H S Venkatesh Murthy (Ondooralli)
* Singer, male – Ravindra Soragavi (Puttakkana Highway)
* Singer, female – Lakshmi Manamohan (Gandhi Smiles)
* Special award – Prarthane
* Regional film – Kanchilda Baale (Tulu)
* Puttanna Kanagal award – Bhargava (director)
* Dr Rajkumar award – S Shivaram (actor)
* Vishnuvardhan award – Ambareesh (actor).