Gas leak in Mathura, hundreds evacuated
Five people were taken ill and hundreds evacuated Wednesday morning following leakage of ammonia gas from an ice manufacturing factory in Uttar Pradesh's Mathura district, police said.
The incident took place at around 8.30 a.m. when a cylinder containing ammonia gas started leaking. As the gas spread, labourers started vomiting and fled from the factory.
Soon they developed rashes on their bodies and began fainting following which panic-stricken residents of Gopalnagar, where the ice factory is located, also left their houses.
Fire tenders have been rushed to the spot and were sprinkling water to contain the gas leak, district officials said.