Iftar party: 50 hospitalised for food poisoning
Around 50 people, including women and children, were admitted to hospital in this eastern Pakistani city with food poisoning after attending an Iftar dinner at a theatre, officials said today.
Police said a businessman hosted the Iftar dinner at the theatre in Mozang area of the city yesterday.
"Guests were served food and almost all of them fell unconscious soon after eating," an official said.
The people were taken to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and Services Hospital, where doctors washed their stomachs.
The hall where the Iftar dinner was held was reportedly sprayed with a chemical to kill flies and other insects but the organisers failed to cover the food.
Officials said this might have been the cause of the food poisoning.