Rajyotsava award list swells to 64
Paralympics champion H N Girisha, noted critic Dr H S Raghavendra Rao, scholar R L Kashyap, Aravind Seetharaman of Inclusive Growth at Cisco Systems and popular orator Hiremagalur Kannan will be among the 64 recipients of the 57th Kannada Rajyotsava awards, 2012, to be given away on Thursday.
The government, which had earlier announced that the number of awardees would be restricted to 50, has overshot the limit. Kannada and Culture Minister Govind M Karjol, who announced the list in Bangalore on Wednesday, said there were many more deserving aspirants, but the selection committee had to round off the number to 57 individual awardees and seven organisations.
The awards will be presented by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and Karjol at Ravindra Kalakshetra at 6 pm. Karjol said except the two sportspersons, the recipients were all above the age of 50.
The Rajyotsava Award Selection Committee comprising Shettar, Deputy Chief Ministers K S Eshwarappa and R Ashoka, Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje, Water Resources Minister Basavaraj Bommai, Law Minister Suresh Kumar and chairpersons of all the State Academies, finalised the list.† The award, which carries a cash prize of Rs one lakh and a 20-gram gold coin, is a tradition followed by the government since 1966.
Individuals who have made notable contributions in the fields of literature, music, dance, theatre, arts, sports, media, education, films, social service and other fields receive the award.
Unlike in the past, the department this time released to the media the biodata and thumbnail sketches of a majority of the awardees. There were also no last minutes inclusions in the list.
* Literature: Dr H S Raghavendra Rao (Chitradurga); Boluvaru Mohammed Kunhi (Dakshina Kannada); Niranjan Walishettar (Dharwad); Sathyanand Paathrot (Bagalkot); Janagere Venkataramaiah (Tumkur)
* Theatre: Chindodi Bangaresh (Davangere); N S Murthy (Tumkur); Althaf (Raichur); M K Sundar Raj (Bangalore)
* Dance/Music: Hanumanthappa Basappa Thimmapura (Haveri); Mysore Mahadevappa (Mandya); Nandini Eshwer (Mysore)
* Folk: Venkappa Ambaji Sugathekar (Bagalkot); Yallavva Basappa Madhara (Belgaum); Nagaari Siddaiah (Ramanagar); Dr Vemagal D Narayanaswamy (Kolar); Palandira Devaiah (Madikeri); Shivarudrappa Revanasiddappa Mudhol (Bagalkot); Pundalika Poojari (Gulbarga); Ramesh Kalladka (Dakshina Kannada); Sangappa Fakirappa Hoogar (Bagalkot)
* Fine Arts/Sculpture: P S Kumar (Mysore); K N Ramachandran (Bellary); Krishnappa Ramappa Badigera (Bagalkot)
* Sports: H N Girisha (Hassan); Prakash Gurusiddappa Yaragatti (Maharashtra)
* Yakshagana: Gode Narayana Hegde (Uttara Kannada); Radhabai Maruthi Madara (Belgaum)
* Films/small screen: S D Ankalagi (Bangalore); B Jaya (Chamarajanagar)
* Education: Prof Bhashyam Swamy (Mandya); Dr B K Hiremath (Bagalkot)
* Science & Technology: G S Paramashivaiah (Tumkur); Dr Sagar Dugani (Belgaum, practising doctor in Boston)
* Miscellaneous: Dr R L Kashyap (Bangalore, scholar); Prof N G Karoor ( Bijapur, educationist); Hiremagalur Kannan (Chikmagalur, popularly known as Kannada priest); Prof S V Kerimani (Gadag, literature); Sudhakar Chaturvedi (Bangalore, freedom fighter)
* Yoga: Dr C V Rudraradhya (Shimoga); Amminagowda Shivanagowda (Haveri); Dr Eshwer Menasinakayi (Dharwad)
* Media: E V Sathyanarayana (Shimoga); S K Sheshachandrika (Shimoga); Gopal Prahladrao Nayak (Bijapur); T V Shivanandan (Gulbarga); S Shantharam (Bangalore)
* Social Service: Tathyarao Kamble (Bidar); P N Benjamin (Bangalore, president, Bangalore Initiative for Religious Dialogue); Aravind Seetharaman (Bangalore, Cisco Systems); Basavalinga Pattadevaru (Bidar)
* Agriculture: Vasanthanarayana Kulkarni (Belgaum)
* Non-residents of Karnataka: Dr Linganna Kalburgi (New Zealand, expert in library & information science); Puttaswamy Gudigar (Goa, sculpture); D Umapathy (journalist, New Delhi)
* Environment: Shankara Kumbi (Dharwad); Dr H C Sharathchandra (Mysore)
* Organisations: Arunodaya Association (Gadag);
Karnataka Blind Welfare Association (Bangalore); Rangashri (Bangalore); Karnataka Engineers Academy (Bangalore); New Horizon Educational and Cultural Trust (Bangalore); Spoorthidhama (Udupi); Mogaveera Managing Board (Mumbai).