'No A-League for Becks'
David Beckham's representatives have shot down claims made by the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) that they were negotiating a move to the A-League for the former England captain.
According to FFA officials, the approach was made in relation to the 37-year-old LA Galaxy midfielder playing in the A-League during the current 2012-13 season. “There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia,” Beckham’s management team said in a statement released to Sky Sports in England on Friday.
“David is completely focused on the MLS play-offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy.”
That poured cold water on the FFA’s statement that it had been contacted by the player’s agent and begun negotiations with one of the sport’s iconic names. “The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the A-League has grown in stature on a global basis,” the FFA said earlier on Friday.
“Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono.”
Local media in Australia had reported that Beckham was interested in a 10-game deal at the conclusion of the Major League Soccer season.
Beckham's Galaxy, reigning MLS champions, face the Seattle Sounders next week in the second leg of their Western Conference final after winning the home leg 3-0.