Press Esc to close
Monday 22 December 2014
News updated at 11:59 PM IST
Weather
Max: 28°C
Min : 17.6°C
In Bengaluru
Partially cloudy

Bhagirath Palace market gutted

New Delhi, Dec 13, 2012, DHNS

A major fire broke out at a godown of electrical items in central Delhi’s Chandni Chowk on Thursday. No causality was reported.

According to the Delhi Fire Services (DFS), fire broke out at the Bhagirath Palace market at around 5 pm.

“Around 22 fire tenders were ru­shed to the spot and the bl­aze was brought under contr­ol in less than an hour,” a fire of­ficer said. Rescue workers suspected that a short circuit was responsible for the blaze.

“Short circuit may be the cause for the fire in this congested area, as electrical wires hang haphazardly over the roads,” a rescue worker said.

A K Sharma, DFS director, refused to comment on the cause of the fire. “Narrow lanes in the congested locality made it difficult for the fire engines to reach the spot,” he said.

Though rescue workers evacuated the people and barricaded the area, the congested lanes made the job of the fire-fighters difficult.

“The fire broke out in a godown of electrical items which is a 200 square yard warehouse. There were a lot of inflammable plastic and PVC materials which caught fire,” said a fire-fighter.

Police said power supply to the area was snapped for over two hours as a precaution.


Go to Top

Photo Gallery
Christmas celebrations

Christmas celebrations

Migratory birds

Migratory birds

Prayers in Allahabad

Prayers in Allahabad

Hand In Hand

Hand In Hand

Bengaluru Midnight Marathon

Bengaluru Midnight Marathon

The Final Battle: ISL

The Final Battle: ISL

Captain's Spirit

Captain's Spirit

Fan's Rejoice

Fan's Rejoice

Atletico de Kolkata players celebrate with Trophy

Atletico de Kolkata players celebrate with Trophy

Atletico De Kolkata wins ISL

Atletico De Kolkata wins ISL

Copyright 2014, The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd., 75, M.G Road, Post Box 5331, Bengaluru - 560001
Tel: +91 (80) 25880000 Fax No. +91 (80) 25880523