Food-poison victims in stable condition
Bangalore, April 23, 2013, DHNS: 0:44 IST
A large group of residents from Valmiki Nagar near Azad Nagar, who were victims of food poisoning after eating ‘prasada’ at a temple on the occasion of Rama Navami, have now almost recovered and are expected to return home soon.
Many were laid-low by nausea, vomiting and stomach-ache after consuming ‘panaka’ and buttermilk offered at the nearby Muthumariyamma temple.
Many were grievously ill by Friday night.
When their condition did not improve by Saturday morning, they were rushed to nearby hospitals.
Medical staff at the Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), which had admitted around 15 people, said that the condition of the patients had improved since Saturday.
“They are feeling better than Saturday, but we haven’t discharged any of them. All patients, including 11 children, have been kept under observation,” a doctor said.
As many as 18 children were taken to the State-run Vani Vilas Hospital where the doctors said that the conditions of 10 people were critical.
“We have discharged eight of the 10 patients and two of them have been kept under observation. Their condition is stable and we should discharge them by Monday,” said a medical officer on duty.
Residents of Valmiki Nagar, however, are in a state of shock over the incident.
Two people, including a six-year-old child, died on Saturday after showing symptoms of food poisoning. A third person, Ameenabi, 65, who was in critical condition, is now recovering. She is, however, under medical observation.
“She is very weak but she was in worse shape yesterday,” explained Zarine, a neighbour. “The doctors said that she needs another 48 hours to stabilise.”