Apple begins probe into death by iPhone
Apple is investigating an accident in which a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock when answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging, the US technology company said on Monday.
Last Thursday, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old woman from China's western Xinjiang region, was electrocuted when she took a call on the charging mobile telephone, the official Xinhua news agency quoted police as saying on Sunday.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter," Apple said in an e-mail.
“The company would have a thorough probe into the case, and would be in full cooperation with investigations,” the statement said.
Apple declined to comment on details, such as whether this was an isolated case.
The older sister of victim Ma Ailun said on Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, that Ma was electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone when the device was charging.
“(I) hope that Apple Inc can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging,” state-run China Daily quoted her as saying in the Weibo post.
The post has gone viral online, with many forwarding the message and warning others of the dangers of using mobile devices while they are being charged.
Ma's father, Ma Guanghui, confirmed that his daughter was electrocuted and her body showed signs of electrocution.
Ma was previously employed as a flight attendant at China Southern Airlines, although she recently quit her job.