You are here: Home » Entertainment » NFDC move a setback to serious cinema production: filmmakers
NFDC move a setback to serious cinema production: filmmakers
Thiruvananthapuram, July 16, 2013, (PTI) : 12:39 IST
The National Film Development Corporation's recent decision not to accept any fresh application for film production will turn out to be a setback to the future of serious cinema movement in the country, feels the cinema fraternity here.
The decision of the central agency, financier and producer of many classic movies in various Indian languages, will shatter the dreams of a large number of fresh talent who wish to materialise their movie hopes with support of government money, they said.
NFDC, functioning under the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, put up a notice on its official website last month, saying it, "has taken a decision to not accept applications for production of films with effect from June 14, 2013 till further notice."
Though its officials said the decision was temporary and had been done to clear backlog, they did not give details about the number of pending productions and when the production would be restored.
Earlier, interested people could submit their applications round the year on NFDC's website or at its offices.
Eminent filmmaker and Dada Sahib Phalke award winner Adoor Gopalakrishnan, one of the initial board members of the agency, said NFDC had been inactive for many years and placing of bureaucrats, having no connection with cinema, in key positions is one of the main reasons for its downturn.
"Nobody gets shocked even if NFDC decides to stop producing films forever or winding up its activities. It has no connection with the film industry in the recent past," he said.
"What they were doing in the past few years was just to conduct some seminars in the annual International Film Festival of India and attend Cannes festivals. The agency has not collaborated with any good films in recent years," he told PTI.