You are here: Home » International » US still seeks 'international coalition' on Syria: Hagel
US still seeks 'international coalition' on Syria: Hagel
Manila, Aug 30, 2013 (AFP): 15:13 IST
The United States is still seeking an "international coalition" in response to Syria's alleged use of chemical weapons, despite a vote against military action by British MPs, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.
"Our approach is to continue to find an international coalition that will act together," Hagel told a news conference.
But he did not say which countries might be part of an international coalition, and his comments appeared to strike a different tone from earlier statements by White House officials suggesting the US is prepared to act alone.
Hagel said Washington respected the British parliament's stance rejecting participation in any punitive strikes against Syria's regime.
"Every nation has a responsibility to make its own decisions," Hagel said during a visit to the Philippines.
"We are continuing to consult with the British as with all of our allies. That consultation includes ways forward together on a response to this chemical weapons attack in Syria." He added: "I don't know of many responsible governments around the world, if any, who have not spoken out in violent opposition to the use of chemical weapons on innocent people."
US plans to build an international coalition for a military strike on Syria suffered a blow when the House of Commons in London voted yesterday against the use of force to punish a chemical weapons attack last week outside Damascus.
Asked if there was anything Syria could do to prevent possible US military action, Hagel said he could not speculate.
"I have not been informed of any change in the Assad's regime's position on any issue. I deal with the reality with what we have. I don't speculate on hypothetical situations," he said at a joint news conference with this Philippine counterpart.
US warships armed with scores of cruise missiles are converging on the eastern Mediterranean, and US military officials have said they are ready to launch a powerful barrage against regime targets in Syria.