You are here: Home » National » Army stages flag march in Muzaffarnagar, toll climbs to 12
Army stages flag march in Muzaffarnagar, toll climbs to 12
Muzaffarnagar, Sept 8, 2013 (PTI) 11:28 IST
Army today staged a flag march in riot-hit areas of Muzaffarnagar district where the toll in clashes between members of two communities rose to 12 even as 30 persons have been arrested for the violence.
Curfew remained in force in Civil Lines, Kotwali and Nai Mandi areas of the district with Army carrying out a flag march in the troubled areas.
Five companies of PAC and as many of RAF and police have also been deployed.
"Twelve people have been killed in the clashes and the toll is expected to rise as some people are missing. Police is searching for them," District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said.
The bodies of two persons were recovered from Bhopa Police Station area this morning and one from Chapar Police station.
Arun Kumar, ADG, Law and Order said the "Situation is totally under control. No unlawful incident has been reported so far since last night. Army has been deployed, they have started with a flag march".
"Since last night we have arrested around 30 persons and we hope the situation will remain under control," he said, adding the District Magistrate and the SP have been given special instructions to deal with the situation with "soft hands".
Tension has been running high in the district since three persons were killed in Kawal village on August 27.
Yesterday, nine persons, including a TV channel journalist, were killed and 34 injured in clashes.
IBN7 channel's part-time correspondent Rajesh Verma and a photographer hired by police, Israr, were among those killed in the violence.
Yesterday's violence curred as a meeting was being held in Naglabadhod in defiance of prohibitory orders to demand withdrawal of cases registered in connection with August 27 violence in Kawal.