Brothers buried alive in wall collapse
Two brothers were buried alive in sleep when the roof and a portion of the wall of their house collapsed on them in AK Colony, Domlur on Saturday.
The bodies of Manoj Kumar (14) and Tanuj Kumar (12) were retrieved from under the debris by Fire and Emergency Services personnel. Nagarathnamma (35), the mother of the two sustained minor injuries in the incident. She is being treated at Bowring and Lady Curzon Hospital.
Manoj and Tanuj were studying in class IX and class VII respectively at KRLS English School nearby. Their father Ramachandra, is a security guard at Dell, Koramangala, Nagrathnamma is a house maid. Ramachandra was on night shift when the accident occurred.†
The house in question adjoins a hillock over which the Indian Army has its ASC centre.
The Army constructed a boundary wall around the land on the hillock. The structure is allegedly built over loose earth.
On Friday night, due to incessant heavy rains, the loose earth gave way bringing down the compound wall, which fell over the asbestos roof of the house. The roof caved in on the two boys sleeping on the cot just below killing them on the spot.
A portion of the wall of the house also collapsed into the house soon after. Nagaratnamma, sleeping on the floor was saved by an iron almirah that stood against the wall.
District in-charge Minister Ramalinga Reddy, who visited the spot, announced an ex gratia of Rs two lakh to the family.† Mayor B S Satyanarayana also announced compensation of Rs one lakh.
Palike Commissioner Lakshminarayana said he would write to Army authorities asking them to immediately demolish the compound wall and reconstruct it in a safe manner so that it doesn’t endanger the lives of people in the vicinity.
In another incident, a couple sustained minor injuries when a portion of wall dividing two houses collapsed due to heavy rain on Friday late night in Ukkarapalya, Austin Town.
Suresh, 38 and Amuda, 34 were residing at a rented house in Ukkarapalya on Old Race Course Road. The house, which has an asbestos roof, is about 40 years old.