Four arrested for assaulting policeman

Four arrested for assaulting policeman

Accused: Gowtham Reddy , Prashanth , Guruprasad and Suryaprakash. The damaged car (Right).

Four men in an inebriated state were arrested for assaulting a policeman in the wee hours of Thursday near HAL.

The arrested have been identified as Gautham Reddy (24) a landlord, Guruprasad (28) a real estate agent, Prashanth (28) an insurance agent and Suryaprakash (41) an auto-driver.

All four are residents of Munekolala in Marathahalli and the police have booked them for attempt to murder, assault and using criminal force obstructing a public servant while discharging his duties.

The four men were sitting in a car, consuming alcohol, playing loud music and creating nuisance at Kundalahalli Gate between 1.30 and 2 am. A local resident informed the police that the men were creating a ruckus by breaking beer bottles on the road.

When head constable Sundar Raj and constable Basavaraj attached to the HAL police station went to the spot, the four started attacking Sundar Raj with beer bottles. Sundar Raj sustained a grievous cut injury on his head close to his ear when he was hit with a bottle. Meanwhile, Basavaraj managed to nab Guruprasad and Surya Prakash and alerted the police control room seeking additional reinforcements.

Meanwhile, Gautham Reddy and Prashanth escaped in the car towards Yemalur, the police said.

A police team soon arrived at the spot and rushed Sundar Raj to a private hospital where he is said to be out of danger, while another team took the duo to the police station.

HAL inspector Mehbood Pasha and sub-inspector Naveen Kumar formed a team and waited at the Marathahalli bridge with a picket point after they got information that the car was coming that way. Around 7.30 am, the police team spotted the red car. The car did not slow down and sped past the police team dangerously.

Mehboob Pasha in his jeep and Naveen on his bike chased when car which brushed against the HAL compound wall and came to halt. The duo then got out of the car and started running for around 200 metres where they were again chased and caught. The two were then bundled to the police station. The four were later produced before a magistrate who remanded them in judicial custody.