Radhika's 'psychopathic' killer identified, two detained

Radhika's 'psychopathic' killer identified, two detained

Radhika's 'psychopathic' killer identified, two detained

Three days after the murder of 20-year-old Radhika on International Women's Day stunned Delhiites, evoking reactions from Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's wife Gursahran Kaur, the stark revelations by the police in the case could not have been more dramatic.

Vijay alias Ram Singh, 25, hailing from Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, used to work at a embroidery unit in Naraina village. He was thrashed by the locals for stalking Radhika three-and-a-half-years back.

"He killed her to avenge humiliation," Deputy Commissioner of Police H.G.S. Dhaliwal told reporters.

"He was bashed up in front of his community members, who also worked in the unit. He felt humiliated and nurtured a grudge about the incident.

"Vijay has a psychopathic streak. He left the Naraina village after 15 days for Mumbai and used to regularly talk to his friends, who hailed from his native place, about the incident. Once in a while, he came to Delhi in that period," said Dhaliwal.

He came back to Delhi one-and-half months ago and started looking for a job. He contacted the owner, Kamal, of the embroidery unit where he was working earlier, but he was refused the job because of his "bad character", he added.

He then got himself a job at an embroidery unit at Shakurpur Basti in north Delhi.
He stalked Radhika, a second-year student of Ram Lal Anand College in Shantiniketan, twice after that. On Tuesday morning, he shot her as she was crossing a foot overbridge near Dhaula Kuan and disappeared into the crowd of students and office-goers, Dhaliwal said. He contacted his friends, Ashraf and Tabrez, who were living Rohini in north Delhi.
Late at night, he revealed to Ashraf and Tabrez that he had killed Radhika and asked them to bring his belongings from the embroidery unit at Shakurpur Basti.

"He stayed at Rohini the following night. On Wednesday, the three moved to Gurgaon to look for a job for Vijay. But when they saw that the matter had gained heat, Ashraf and Tabrez asked him to leave the town. They dropped Vijay to Gurgaon Railway station Thursday," said the commissioner.

"The duo then left for their native place, fearing arrest for helping Vijay.

"All three used to work together in the knitting and weaving factory in the area as daily wage labourers earlier," Dhaliwal said.

Ashraf and Tabrez were detained from Vishwa town in Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, about 400 km from Delhi. They were on their way to Delhi

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox