B'lore blasts 'planner' had bluffed Kerala police


Abdul Halim at Kozhikode on Wednesday. pti

Abdul Halim who has now been nabbed again in connection with the twin blasts in Kozhikode in 2006 has admitted that the vehicle he had stolen from Aluva in March 2008 was intended for the Bangalore blasts . 

Apparently, the arrest of the 33-year-old “bomb expert’’, in a vehicle theft case did not deter his friends from proceeding with the serial blasts in Bangalore in July.

“When he was caught, he told us then that he had stolen the vehicle for meeting the treatment expenses of his wife who was hospitalised,’’ said Kochi city police commissioner Manoj Abraham while producing Halim before the media on Wednesday.  “We had to believe him because when we enquired, we found that his wife was actually admitted to hospital,’’ he said. Halim has now admitted that he had planned to proceed to Bangalore with the vehicle for use there.

Halim is a key aide of Thadiyantavide Nazir who is involved in the Bangalore blasts as well as headed the terror recruitment drive from Kerala. A former member of Abdul Nasser Madhani’s People’s Democratic Party (PDP), he had undergone training in handling arms and use of explosives in Hyderabad.

He was also involved in recruiting of youths for jihad. Police said they got to Halim while interrogating some 600 youths who were involved in criminal cases since 1998 as part of the investigations into last week’s blast at the Ernakulam district collectorate.

Halim is also accused in the Kalamassery (Kochi) bus torching case, a twin murder case in Kannur, fake currency case besides the Aluva vehicle theft and the Kozhikode blasts.

However, the police said they were yet to stumble on any evidence linking him to the collectorate blast which had necessitated the investigations that led to his arrest.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry