Haider claims to have got two new threats

Haider claims to have got two new threats

Zulqarnain, who is planning to return home on April 24 or 25 from London where he has remained since last November, told Geo News that he has got two threatening phone calls.
“The caller twice threatened me with death and problems for my family. I have informed the police in London,” he said.

“The police has advised me to be very cautious and to take the threats seriously,” Zulqarnain added.

The ’keeper fled the Pakistan team hotel in Dubai during a one-day series against South Africa last November, claiming he got threats from an unidentified person who wanted him to fix matches.

Zulqarnain fled to London and sought asylum there but last week, after meeting Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik, said withdrew his application.

Zulqarnain, who is living in a residence provided by the government, said he had moved to another location after getting the fresh threats.

The ’keeper, who scored 88 on his Test debut against England last year, said he was grateful to Scotland Yard and other authorities for helping him during his stay in the United Kingdom.

Zulqarnain confirmed he had spoken briefly to the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board and informed him about his decision to return to Pakistan on the reassurances given by Malik.

The PCB has said Zulqarnain will have to appear before its disciplinary and integrity committee to explain his conduct before any decision is taken on allowing him to resume his cricket career.


DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)