Floods leave 14 dead, 45,000 displaced in southwest China

Floods leave 14 dead, 45,000 displaced in southwest China

The Wangmo County of Guizhou Province was inundated by flood waters yesterday, disrupting power and water supplies and telecommunication services in several towns, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the county's officials as saying.

The floods have forced evacuation of at least 45,000 residents in the county while 3,000 others remained stranded. The floods damaged 5,500 hectares of cropland, washed away more than 500 vehicles, toppled 100 homes and destroyed roads and bridges, the report said.

The local government has mobilised more than 330 soldiers and policemen to clean up roads hoping to restore traffic for students rushing to the national college entrance exam that opens today. Rain-triggered floods have so far hit 11 cities and counties across Guizhou Province, affecting at least 270,000 people, the provincial civil affairs bureau said.

The local weather bureau said the first round of continuous downpours began on June 3. As of Monday, precipitation topped 100 mm in 16 counties. Another 31 counties received 55 to 100 mm of rainfall, it said.

The weather bureau has forecast rain in most parts of the province today, with downpours in three southern prefectures.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)