Govt signs fee agreement, at a cost

Govt signs fee agreement, at a cost

It gives away 5 per cent seats in engg and 2 per cent seats in medicine to private colleges

Govt signs fee agreement, at a cost

This year’s agreement largely follows last year’s pattern, with some minor changes in the seat-sharing ratio and fee structure.  The government quota of engineering seats has fallen by five per cent from last year to 45 per cent, while that in medical colleges has fallen by two per cent to 40 per cent.  Two slabs for engineering fee have been offered - at Rs 30,000 and Rs 35,000, respectively. If a college opts for the lower figure, it can charge a higher fee under COMED-K and management quota at Rs 1.25 lakh. If the college opts for the higher CET fee, it can charge a fee of Rs one lakh under the COMED-K and management quota.

"With this agreement, we have protected the interests of poor and merit students", said Higher Education Minister VS Acharya. Popular colleges are expected to take up the lower fee under CET, as they stand to make more money with the Rs 25,000 higher fee under COMED-K. Those colleges that have struggled to admit students under COMED-K - which includes a majority of colleges, is likely to opt for the higher fee under CET. A 5 per cent supernumerary quota mandated by AICTE for poor and meritorious students will be offered for free. For medical and dental colleges, there is no change in fee, but the seat-sharing ratio has changed marginally.

For medical colleges, 40 per cent of the seats will come under the government (CET) quota, while 60 per cent of seats will come under the COMED-K/management quota.

Medical seats will be charged Rs 35,000 under the government quota, and Rs 3.25 lakh under the management quota. Last year, the seat-sharing ratio was 42:58.

Dental colleges will part with 20 per cent of their seats to the government (CET) quota, leaving 80 per cent of seats under COMED-K/management quota. Dental seats will be charged a fee of Rs 25,000 under CET and Rs 2.3 lakh under the management quota.

Acharya also announced that there will be no mutual transfer policy this year, after complaints from several colleges on this front.  This year, there will be three rounds of counselling held by the State government, while COMED-K will hold two rounds of counselling. All unallotted seats under the government quota will be returned to private colleges after the final round.

New P&M norms

The State government also announced that it would offer a subsidy of Rs 5,000 to students under the poor and meritorious category, if the student chooses an engineering seat for Rs 35,000. Candidates whose family income is less than Rs 2.5 lakh a year, and who have secured a rank within 25,000 would be eligible for this subsidy.

However, the subsidy is not applicable to those who have chosen a seat for Rs 30,000. The State government is yet to sign an agreement with minority professional colleges. Officials said that they would sign the agreement in a day or two.

Medical exam of disabled candidates

The medical examination for candidates seeking CET selection under the quota for the physically disabled was conducted on Thursday, with 150 candidates appearing before the Medical Board.

Of them, 13 candidates were found eligible, and four have been referred by the panel for further examination.

The counselling round for disabled candidates is scheduled for Friday, June 10. This year, 41 medical seats, 17 dental seats and 900 engineering seats will be made available for selection for the disabled.

Up next is counselling for candidates under the Sports quota which is scheduled for June 15. Counselling for medical and dental seats will begin on June 20, while counselling for engineering seats will begin on June 27.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox