Babus build fort around DC's office

Violation: People jump over the barricades to enter the DC’s office.DH photos by Prashant H G

It is yet another example of the widening gap between the ‘rulers’ and ‘subjects’ in democracy.

The Mysore deputy commissioner’s office, constructed by the Maharaja’s in 1895 to serve the people, has been fortified by the present day rulers.

It is a heritage building and the Mysore City Corporation has put up a board in this regard. The MCC claims to upkeep cleanliness in the building premises. But, cleanliness is hardly noticed.

Instead of preserving the heritage building, the district administration has made changes to the structure and put up barricades indiscriminately with scant regard for public utility and aesthetics.

One way

The road opposite the main entrance of the building — east, connecting D Devaraja Urs road — is a one way and a huge gate has been installed on the road connecting Hunsur road near the NCC office. So if one enters the DC office premises from Devaraja Urs road in a car, it can be parked on the northern side.

If it is a two-wheeler, it has to be parked on the southern side of the building. However, entrance is possible only from the main gate.

Fortunately, the entrance to the office of the tahsildar, survey department, on the back side of the building is not completely barricaded.

Access

The building is constructed in such a way so as to provide access to people from all four sides. There are staircases to the first floor from three sides — front, left and right. But due to barricades — both temporary and permanent — entrance is possible only from the front side.

A 180 degree CCTV camera has also been installed on the portico at the main entrance for security reasons.

The vintage mansion inside the Gordon Park that took eight years to build was dedicated to Sir James Gordon, the last chief commissioner of Mysore under the British Raj. It is one among the handsomest period building of the city in a commanding setting. The foundation stone for the building was laid on June 20,1887, and formally opened in 1895.

The unusually double bulb octagonal dome of the building rests on a elaborately composed square drum.

European style

 It is a typical European style building with arches of different shapes — round headed and flat segmented — each with a floral key stone together with Corinthian pilasters, which open into the verandahs running all around on both the floors and lead into high ceiling inner room and halls.

Security

If security is the concern of the district administration, the purpose is not served as people jump across the barricades to enter the office.

 It is rampant on the southern side, where the office of food and civil supplies department is situated. Even police personnel use this short-cut frequently.

The district administration should construct a real fort around the building if at all it is all about security. There is not short-cut to this.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)