Liverpool gun down Arsenal

Liverpool gun down Arsenal

10-man Gunners suffer 0-2 defeat to Merseysiders; Newcastle score

Arsene Wenger's team, still reeling from the departure this week of former captain Cesc Fabregas and gripped by injuries and suspensions, got off to a bad start when they lost defender Laurent Koscielny to injury after a quarter of an hour.

It got worse when Emmanuel Frimpong, one of their better players on his first Premier League start, was sent off after receiving a second yellow card following a dangerous tackle on Lucas with 20 minutes to go.

An own goal by Aaron Ramsey, the ball coming off his chest, handed Liverpool the lead in the 78th minute before Uruguay striker Suarez ensured his team would record their first win at the Emirates with a stoppage-time effort.

"We're delighted, it's a difficult place to come," Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish told Sky Sports.

Earlier, Newcastle United won the northeast derby with Ryan Taylor's 62nd-minute free kick securing a 1-0 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, where the hosts finished with 10 men after Phil Bardsley was sent off.

After a terrible week for Arsenal, in which Fabregas left for Barcelona and manager Arsene Wenger got himself into hot water with UEFA for breaking the rules of a touchline ban, things showed no sign of improvement.

From the moment Koscielny pulled up holding his lower back and left the field in agony, unable to walk unassisted, to the departure of Frimpong, who walked off the pitch with his head in his hands, it was clear luck was not on Arsenal's side.

Samir Nasri, whose anticipated transfer to Manchester City has provided Arsenal fans with another concern, was named in the starting lineup and showed plenty of commitment to his current team with some good runs.

His best chance came towards the end of the first half when he surged from near the halfway line and darted past two Liverpool defenders before his final touch let him down as his right-footed shot from the edge of the area flew wide.

Arsenal were unable to find their trademark passing game and found themselves coming out second best in terms of possession as Liverpool went close when Andy Carroll's powerful header was well saved by Wojciech Szczesny in the 20th minute.

Charlie Adam tried his luck from long range a couple of times, while Martin Kelly struck the post early in the second half before Arsenal helped Liverpool's cause with some sloppy defending.

Ramsey could not get out of the way when Koscielny's replacement, teenager Ignasi Miquel, attempted to clear the ball after a move involving Suarez and Raul Meireles, and watched helplessly as the ball bounced off him and into the net.

Suarez made sure of the points late on when he tapped in a square ball from Meireles to deal the final blow to Arsenal, who left the field to boos from their home fans as the rain poured down.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)