Officials, fishermen hold meet on 3rd phase of Malpe harbour


Speaking to reporters after the meet, State Fisheries Department Joint Director Ganghadhar Doddikeri said that the representatives of fishermen have raised their objections to the proposal. He said that the fishermen were not happy with the space allotted for boats in the plan.

Doddikeri said that the project will be taken up on a partnership basis where 75 per cent of the cost will be borne by the Centre. The Central government had allotted Rs 12 crore in 2007 and Rs 10 crore in 2008 for the third phase construction works. However, the funds remained unutilised, he said adding that measures will be taken in association with PWD to revamp the blueprint in accordance with fishermen’s demands. The final draft will be submitted to the Central government by the end of January 2010. Currently fishermen are demanding the basin styled harbour instead of proposed layout style. The project cost will be estimated only after the final draft, he informed.

Fishermen leader Heeriyanna said that the construction works for the third phase of the harbour is taken up at Baputhota near the existing harbor. The land allotted by the government for the purpose earlier was encroached by a Company, he added.

He demanded that 70 per cent of the allotted land should be earmarked for the boats and remaining 30 per cent for the construction of the buildings to repair the nets and for the construction of slipway. The government should take the responsibility of providing all facilities, he added.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry