Rapid increase in new arrivals from China and India to US

The Bureau in its latest report said that there is a significant increase in number of persons arriving from these two Asian giants to the US in recent years.

Among the 40 million foreign-born residents in 2010, 82.6 per cent reported a year of entry prior to 2005. The remaining 17.4 per cent entered from 2005 to 2010, the Census Bureau said as it released a part of its 2010 American Community Survey.

"Those born in China accounted for 5 per cent of the foreign born who arrived before 2005, 6 per cent of those from 2005 through 2007, and 9 per cent of those arriving in 2008 or later," it said.

"Similarly, the proportion of the foreign born from India increased from 4 per cent of those who arrived before 2005, to seven per cent of those who arrived from 2005 through 2007, and to eight per cent of those who arrived in 2008 or later," Census Bureau said.

According to the survey the number of foreign-born residents in 2010 differed considerably from state to state, from a high of 10.2 million in California to fewer than 20,000 in North Dakota and Wyoming.

California, New York, Texas, Florida, New Jersey and Illinois each had more than 1 million foreign-born residents and accounted for 65 per cent of all American residents born in another country.

California had the largest proportion of the nation's newly arrived (19 per cent), followed by Texas (11 per cent), New York (10 per cent) and Florida (9 per cent).

More than half of those who arrived prior to 2005 were born in Latin America and the Caribbean, compared with only 48 per cent of those who arrived in 2005 or later, it said.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)