Murder convict who jumped parole held

Murder convict who jumped parole held

Sudarshan Kumar Dutta was arrested from his residence at Bengali Colony at Mahabir Enclave in south east Delhi, said Additional Commissioner of Police (south east) Ajay Chaudhry.

Dutta, who hails from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh, murdered Col K M S Bhutalia and his wife Geeta Bhutalia on January 30, 1995. Dutta, who was a property dealer at Lajpat Nagar in south east Delhi, was arrested along with three more accomplices in February, 1995 and was charge-sheeted. He was convicted and awarded life imprisonment on  February 22, 2002.

Dutta filed an appeal in High Court, but his conviction was upheld. He had been in jail for 14 years and was granted parole in January, 2010 by the Supreme Court, but he jumped the parole and was consequently declared proclaimed offender in April, 2011. He was in hiding since then.

Machine kills man

A 31-year-old labourer died when he accidentally got caught in a machine at a plastic factory at Narela in Outer Delhi, police said on Wednesday.

Anil, originally from Bihar, was working at the factory for the last few years. He was handling a plastic-making machine on Tuesday evening, when co-workers heard a loud noise with a scream and found Anil stuck inside the machine. They switched off the machine there and took him out, said police.

He was rushed to hospital but was declared brought dead. The body was sent to Raja Harishchandra Hospital for post-mortem, said police. A case has been registered against the factory owner and the supervisor. Investigating is on, said police, adding Anil’s family has been informed.

Auto rammed, driver dies

A 47-year-old autorickshaw driver was killed when an unidentified vehicle rammed his three-wheeler at Model Town in north-west Delhi Wednesday, police said.
Ratan Singh was driving in his auto-rickshaw towards Kingsway Camp in north Delhi when the runaway vehicle rammed it.

“We received a call regarding the accident. He was rushed to Babu Jagjivan Ram Hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. He received head injuries,” said a senior police officer who rushed to the spot and found him lying in a pool of blood.

Police said they could not find any eye-witness to the accident, but are talking to locals and office-goers for clues. A case has been registered against unidentified persons.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)