Ten month old baby dies after being administered injection

A ten-month old infant died and two other children fainted allegedly after being administered paracetamol injection at the primary health centre near Andipatti in Theni district,officials said today.

PHC Medical officer Maheswaran said the three children, who were having fever, were administered the injection as usual,like many other children.It was not known why they alone were affected, he said, adding, further investigation was on.

The baby boy died while being taken to the Theni District medical hospital last night while the other children were stated to be out of danger today, the officials said. Only a probe would reveal if the baby had been given an overdose of paracetamol or if the drug was administered beyond its expiry date, Medical college officials said.

Meanwhile, in Virudhunagar district a three-year-old boy died due to a mysterious fever last night. Twelve children in the same area had also been affected by the fever and are undergoing treatment, officials said.

According to Public Health Director Balasubramanian,there were no dengue symptoms but it was suspected that it could be brain fever. Now house-to-house survey was being conducted to find the nature of fever, he added.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry