Rajasthan govt refutes author's charge

The state home department on Monday night came out with a statement refuting Rushdie’s char­ge that the Rajasthan police had invented a terror plot to prevent him from attending the Jaipur literature festival.

The statement issued by Principal Secretary Home G S Sandhu said the intelligence agencies had been receiving reports that the banned Student’s Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) was targeting Rushdie.
He said that from December 28 to January 20 intelligence agencies have been reporting to the state government on the threat to Rushdie ‘5-6 times’.

It said a SIMI office bearer exchanged money and a weapon with a person in June 2011 to target Rushdie during his India visit to attend the literature festival. The plan was to target him during his stay at the Godrej guest house in Mumbai and the Guest house was searched after the information was received. He said the Central Home ministry advisory issued on January 17 also reiterated that a former SIMI  office bearer Zakib Nacchan is planning to target Rushdie.  The advisory has also mentioned Zaid Nuri promising a reward of Rs 1 lakh to any one throwing shoe at Rushdie.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry