Phone-hacking: 'Sun' journalists among 5 arrested

Phone-hacking: 'Sun' journalists among 5 arrested

British police today arrested a police officer and four former and current journalists with the 'Sun' newspaper as part of continuing investigation into the phone-hacking controversy at papers owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.

The five were arrested under Operation Elvedon, which is investigating the payment of money to police officers by journalists for information to be used in sensational stories.
Scotland Yard said the five men, aged 29 to 56, were arrested at addresses in London and Essex earlier.

The 29-year-old, a serving officer in the Metropolitan Police's Territorial Policing Command, was arrested at his office in a central London police station.

As per standard practice, Scotland Yard did not release the names of those arrested but according to the BBC, the four arrested journalists are ex-deputy editor Fergus Shanahan, ex-managing editor Graham Dudman, crime editor Mike Sullivan and head of news Chris Pharo.

Offices at News International in Wapping were being searched.

News Corporation and its Management and Standards Committee (MSC) issued a statement following the arrests, saying it had made a commitment last summer that unacceptable news gathering practices by individuals in the past would not be repeated.

The statement said: "It commissioned the management and standards committee to undertake a review of all News International titles, regardless of cost, and to proactively co-operate with law enforcement and other authorities if potentially relevant information arose at those titles".

It added: "As a result of that review, which is ongoing, the MSC provided information to the Elveden investigation which led to today's arrests".

News Corporation also said it would "continue to give its total support to the continued work of the MSC and to ensure that legitimate journalism is vigorously pursued in both the public interest and in full compliance with the law".

The total number of people arrested in as part of the inquiries related to phone-hacking now stands at 27.

Two were released without further action, and 21 remain on police bail.