Docs giving lame excuses: Blast victim

Docs giving lame excuses: Blast victim


He covered the bomb blast in the Sadar Bazar area in 1997, one of the first few that have rocked the capital intermittently, as a freelance photographer. Ironically, he became a victim of the blast in Delhi High Court on September 7, 2011.

Mukesh Arora awaits further treatment in hospital.

His relatives allege that the hospital did not provide timely medical aid to treat his leg injury. The hospit­al authorities deny the charge.

Mukesh Arora has been lyi­ng in Ram Manohar Lohia Ho­spital’s orthopaedic ward for the past five months, the last among the five who were in the same ward. Bones in his ri­ght leg were crushed as he was standing within a radius of one metre from the bomb. He was one of the very few survivors in that range. Arora was in the High Court as a witness in a case.

A chirpy lensman, he was satisfied with the treatment till two months ago, ready for either lower leg amputation or a repair. But then he was told his leg could be saved with the he­lp of external and internal fixators. His relatives allege he was asked to arrange for the equipment himself, which he could not. He is still in hospital.

“Two months ago the doctors told him that if he buys the material, which  costs many thousands, he will be treated immediately. After he conveyed his inability, the hospital authorities said they will take a week or so to arrange it.  However, they kept dillydallying for a month and Mukesh remained in the hospital on medicines,” said a relative.

The hospital administration claims it has arranged the necessary material but due to he­alth complications, Arora cannot go through surgery yet.

“We have acquired the external and internal fixators. His injured leg has developed complications and has been bleeding. Once the complications are overcome, we will treat him,” said Dr T S Sidhu, Medical Superintendent, RML Hospital.

“Every time he asked about the surgery, he was told to wait for three to four days due to non-availability of the material. Only in the last 20-25 days his leg began to bleed,” said a relative. Arora is waiting to come out of hospital and join his mo­ther who he had met only twice in five months. “I have to worry about my career, too, as I can’t run around like before,” said Arora.