Police still clueless on rape of Anglo-Indian

Police still clueless on rape of Anglo-Indian

The Kolkata police is clueless about the alleged rape of an Anglo-Indian woman, with Joint Commissioner of Police Damayanti Sen saying “the entire thing is not yet clear to us”.

Interestingly, the person identified by the Anglo-Indian woman as the main culprit — Lovi Gidwani — is in Canada and his father has produced all the documents in that connection.

“Lovi’s father has produced all the documents and that has been verified by the immigration department and we are sure that Lovi is in Canada and he has been staying there since January 1,” Sen said.

The Kolkata police has detained two people — Sarafat, who according to the woman had shoved the gun in her mouth, and Azhar — for interrogation.

“We have interrogated them for quiet a long time but apparently there is no discrepancy in their statements. Sarafat, who is from Khiddepore, was at his place and Azhar was busy in some family festival at Collins Street and their mobile towers show that,” Sen said adding the statement given by the woman was yet to be proved.

When asked whether the woman was raped, Sen said: “The medical report is yet to come and we will be able to say with certainty once we get the report.”

The main accused Lovi Gidwani runs a call centre which is managed by Sarafat and Azhar. The Anglo-Indian woman was working in Lovi’s call centre along with another person Ambar who allegedly transferred some secret information to other call centres for which he was sacked. The woman also left the company later.

The woman along with Ambar was trying to set up a call centre and for that she took 1.5 lakh from Farooq Halim, who is the son of former West Bengal Assembly speaker Abdul Halim. “We spoke to Halim and he confirmed that he has given the money,” Sen said.

Sources in the police said: “We are trying to find out whether this business rivalry has anything to do with this allegation. So far nothing has been found to be concrete but we are trying to explore all the possibilities in the case”.

The alleged rape case surfaced on February 9 when the Anglo-Indian woman lodged an FIR.