Saif arrested, bailed out for assaulting NRI businessman

Saif arrested, bailed out for assaulting NRI businessman

 Saif Ali Khan was tonight arrested and released by the police on bail after being charged with assaulting an NRI businessman who protested the raucous chatter of the Bollywood actor and his friends in a restaurant at a luxury hotel last midnight.

The 41-year-old actor and his two friends were booked under sections 325 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intent) of IPC for assaulting a South African businessman of Indian origin Iqbal Sharma at 'Wasabi', a Japanese restaurant at the Taj Hotel.

Khan, Shakeel Ladak and Bilal Amrohi were brought to the Colaba police station around 8 PM in a police vehicle and whisked inside through the rear entrance amid a large media and public presence.

All the three were enlarged on bail after the completion of the formalities that took about an hour, police said.

According to sources, Khan had left his lawyer's office at Gamdevi in his own car but boarded the police vehicle near Nariman Point where he and others were arrested before being brought to the police station.

Since the actor was booked under lighter, bailable sections of the penal law, he was granted bail by the police instead of having to approach a court.

There was huge security bandobust at the police station which was out of bounds for the media.

The brawl broke out a little past midnight when Sharma, seated along with his family at a table adjacent to that occupied by Khan, his companion actress Kareena Kapoor and others, complained to the hotel management about their noisy chatter.

According to the complaint, the actor accosted Sharma near the staircase at the entrance of the restaurant and after some heated arguments, punched him on the nose, causing a fracture. If convicted, Saif and others could be punished with imprisonment upto seven years besides fine.

Sharma, who is the former Director General and CEO of trade, industry and investment of South Africa, alleged that even his 68-year-old father-in-law who tried to intervene was not spared by Khan and his three friends who rained blows on them.

Sharma, currently Chairman and CEO of ISSAR Company, later went to GT Hospital for a medical examination and reported the matter to the police at around 2.30 this morning following which the complaint was registered against the actor.

Khan was present at the restaurant with girlfriend actress Kareena Kapoor, her sister Karishma, actor Arbaaz Khan's wife and item girl Malaika Arora Khan, her sister Amrita Arora and some other male friends, while Sharma's wife and father-in-law accompanied him. Shakeel Ladak is the husband of Amrita.

Sharma said security personnel at the iconic hotel were nowhere to be seen when the incident took place.

"Our audacity to complain to the management asking them to keep their voice down perturbed him," Sharma said, adding he would pursue the case to the "full extent of law" and that it was "too late for a compromise to be reached".

"We intend to pursue it to the full extent of the law. The criminal process will take its course and then we will consult our attorney and look at the civil aspect, but we will pursue it to the full extent of law," he said speaking at his Chrysalis Building residence at upscale Juhu.