'Food poisoning' kills DU girl, minor hangs himself to death

'Food poisoning' kills DU girl, minor hangs himself to death

 Two persons, including a 13-year-old boy, died under mysterious circumstances, while a Afghan national attempted to commit suicide on Thursday, police said.

The first incident was reported from Vivek Vihar in east Delhi, where the president of a Delhi University college’s students’ union died apparently due to food poisoning on Thursday afternoon.

The deceased has been identified as Kanika Sharma, 20, a resident of Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh.

She was pursuing BA at Vivekananda College.“Kanika fell ill after she drank a cold drink from the college’s canteen at around 9 am. She was rushed to E S I Hospital in Jhilmil Colony by the college authorities, but passed away during treatment,” a police official said.

The police have taken sample from that bottle of cold drink to check for presence of poison.

The victim was involved with the National Students' Union Of India (NSUI) and was busy organising the annual festival of the college these days.

A case has been registered under relevant sections of the law at Vivek Vihar police station.

Boy commit suicide
In the second case, a 13-year-old boy committed suicide at his home in Welcome area of east Delhi in the wee hours of Thursday.

Balram, a resident of Babarpur, had gone to watch television at a neighbour’s house after having dinner at 10.30 pm on Wednesday, said Kusesar, boy’s father. Balram  used to work in a tea shop.

Kusesar and his brother Kanhayya had gone to sleep at 11 pm and were unaware as to when Balram returned home.  Kusesar found Balram hanging  around 4 am.
“His father then reported the matter to us at around 5.30 am. No suicide note was recovered. A crime team and photographer were also sent to the spot,” a senior police official said.

Kusesar insisted that he did not find the death suspicious.Balram is survived by his parents, two brothers -- Krishna, 18, Sudhama, 8, and sister Pooja, 13.

A post-mortem was also conducted at Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital in Dilshad Garden.

Suicide attempt
The third incident was reported from Lajpat Nagar area of south-east Delhi, where a 28-year-old Afghan national attempted suicide by jumping off the second floor of a shopping mall.

The incident occurred at around 2.40 am after Mohammed Arif, who hails from Afghanistan’s Herat province, gained entry into 3C's Mall by pushing a security guard.

He was taken to All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Trauma Centre where he is recuperating at present.

According to the police, Arif appears mentally ill.“While questioning his landlord in Vinobapuri, we learnt that he was mentally challenged,” a police official said.
It was also revealed that Arif had arrived in the national capital with his sister three days ago.

“Initial investigation suggests that he came here for treatment,” the official added.