Blast accused to file nomination for polls

A Delhi court on Thursday allowed a suspected Indian Mujahideen (IM) terrorist, facing trial with 12 others, for his alleged role in the September 2008 serial blast here to forward his nomination for upcoming MCD polls.

"Applicant is permitted to file his nomination for elections of the MCD to the concerned returning officer through superintendent of jail, Sabarmati Jail, Ahmedabad," Additional Sessions Judge Narinder Kumar said.

Accused Zia-ur-Rehman's counsel M S Khan submitted that his candidature does not suffer from "any disqualification as provided under section 9 of the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act".

He said the only prayer is for forwarding nomination through jail superintendent and that Zia-ur-Rehman is not seeking his release to go to the office of the returning officer.
Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan did not oppose Rehman's prayer as a 1968 notification issued by the Election Commission of India permits any candidate confined in prison to make and subscribe his oath or affirmation in the prescribed form to the returning officer through the prison superintendent.

Zia-ur Rehman had on Wednesday moved the application for court's permission to contest the MCD polls.

A court here in May last year had framed charges against Zia-ur-Rehman and 12 others suspected IM modules for their alleged roles in the 2008 serial blasts here that killed 26 people and injured 135 others.

The court had ordered their trial on charges of waging war against the state and killing people in the blast besides, other penal provisions of the IPC, the Explosive Substance Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The charges were framed against Mohd Shakeel, Mohd Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed, Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd Sadique, Kayamuddin Kapadia, Mohd Hakim, Mohd Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohd Akbar Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry