New frontiers and courses

New frontiers and courses


New frontiers and courses

Dear Sir,

I am in the third year of my B.Pharma course. I intend to do my Master’s from a reputed university abroad. I am told that some UK-based universities offer a one-year M.Pharma course. What are the opportunities? Please give me some details about the likely expenses, financial assistance available and prospects of working abroad.

Abha Sharma

Dear  Abha Sharma,

According to the latest educational policies of the United Kingdom, colleges offer a basic degree of 4 years in pharmacy and the degree awarded is M. Pharma. This is to standardise the course all across the European Union.

In the U K, the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain is responsible for regulation of pharmacy affairs. Graduates must complete one year of practical training and pass a registration examination before they can be entered on the register of pharmacists, known as the register of pharmaceutical chemists.

Overseas pharmacists are required to take the Overseas Pharmacists Assessment Programme (OSPAP), a one-year intensive course focused on pharmacy practice in Great Britain.

OSPAP authorisation can be given by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain and the course can be studied  at the University of Sunderland, Aston University, Robert Gordon University or the University of Brighton. This will entitle you to even practise there as a pharmacist. Being a practising pharmacist you have a much greater role.

It costs you anywhere from Rs 13-18 lakh for this one-year certification course. The only requirement to go to the UK is to write IELTS, the English Language proficiency test. You can also look at doing MS in pharmacy in USA. To study in USA you have to write GRE and TOEFL also.

However,  availability of jobs is a big question mark in both the countries and you have to get a work permit to  do   that. Any form of financial assistance may be available for meritorious students. You may browse the following websites if any assistance is available:, www.ucas

Dear Sir,

In 1998, I completed my engineering degree in textile technology and was forced to take care of my family business soon after. After my father’s death, the business suffered losses. I would now like to start afresh in my professional career. What are my options?

Should I go for higher studies or try for an entry level job in India? Are there any opportunities for me abroad? Is it advisable to change my field? If yes, what are my options? Please guide me. I also want to know what my opportunities are after the NDT (Non-Descriptive Test) course or the AWS (American Welding Society) course.

Khaja Hussain

Dear Khaja Hussain,

I can understand your dilemma as you have to start afresh, professionally, and that too under trying circumstances.

Since you have a four-year engineering degree and almost a decade’s work experience you have a very good platform.

Ask yourself where you want to be in the next decade or so. Decide on whether you want to continue in business related activities or move back to technology.  If need be take the guidance of a career counsellor to get your aptitude tested and match it with your interest.

At this point of time in a slowly recovering economy, jobs related to specific careers are scarce.

Many possibilities exist if you are sure of the field that you want to pursue. Financially also, easy repayment soft loans are available for higher education abroad.

Dear Sir,
I have completed B.Com  with an aggregate of 58 per cent. I am now planning to do an MBA in the US. I plan to take GMAT and TOEFL exams in December. The US usually asks for 16yrs of primary education but I have completed only 15 years. How do I get into a good college abroad?


Dear Prashanth,

I am glad you have already realised that colleges in USA need applicants to complete 16 years of education. Also to get in to a reasonably accredited business school you need work experience of at least 2 years. Hence even if you write and perform well in GMAT and TOEFL, your scores alone would not make you eligible.

If you are sure of wanting to study in the US, I would suggest you start working in a field related to the area of focus in management studies while you look for opportunities to fulfill 16 years of education.

One way is you can enroll and complete the course in an open university for an MBA or any other related field while continuing to gain work experience. You could also look at studying  in a community college for a year in USA, which gives you an associate degree.

But this is an expensive proposition. Should you think of such an option, it may be worth your while to approach World Educational Services atwww.wes. org.  Their primary role is to convert your present qualification measured in terms of grades or score to Grade Point Average.

They fix the course credits that you have achieved in the field of your study, which will help you in approaching universities that will evaluate you for a specific course that you may choose to study.

However, this is a paid service but it could help as your qualification is evaluated properly. This will come in handy even while you are applying for a job.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox