Acid kept in govt hospital bathroom scalds teen girl

Acid kept in govt hospital bathroom scalds teen girl

A teenaged girl, all set to get married after a fortnight, suffered burns when she washed herself with acid kept in a can, mistaking it for water, in a bathroom of the Babu Jagjivan Ram Memorial government hospital at Jahangirpuri in north Delhi.

The family alleged that they were forced not to register a formal complaint post accident, in order to get treatment for the burn injuries the girl suffered. The young resident of Adarsh Nagar here, had returned to Delhi two days ago after visiting her hometown in Uttar Pradesh. Due to the travel and change of weather, she suffered dehydration and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

“My daughter had severe pain in her stomach the night before. We took her to the hospital early in the morning,” said the girl’s mother.

At the hospital, she went to the toilet, where there was no water in the tap. Her mother asked her to use the liquid in a can in the bathroom, assuming it to be water. The girl used it to wash herself, only to realise that it was acid.

“She came out of the toilet in agonising pain. The doctor on duty misbehaved with us and did not treat her,” said her sister.

The family had to give in writing that they would not register any medico-legal case, following which the treatment started with pouring a lot of water on her wounds. The girl was not given all the medicines by the hospital. Except for a strip of paracetamol and tablets for the  dehydration, she had to buy medicines worth Rs 250, including ointment for her burns, the family alleged, ruing the “callous attitude” of the hospital authorities.

“They did not help us even though it is their carelessness that caused so much pain and trouble to my daughter,” said the mother.

Citing the victim’s upcoming marriage, the family said they do not want to pursue the case with police.

“The skin of the vagina area is peeling off. I can’t even walk,” complained the victim.
Dr J N Mohanty of the hospital said he was not aware of the case, but admitted the negligence.

“This should not happen. How could acid be kept in the bathroom? I will inquire into the matter,” he assured Deccan Herald.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)