DoE issues notice to private schools

DoE issues notice to private schools

The Directorate of Education has issued a notice to all private schools, asking them for information on fresh admissions to identify the number of seats in pre-school to class 1 under the economically weaker sections category.

The DoE had been given a deadline by the Delhi High Court to complete the admission procedure for EWS category by June 30. The main purpose behind deriving this information from schools is to calculate 25 per cent EWS seats to be filled with fresh admissions.

“It is hereby ordered that all unaided recognised schools should give the information in respect of fresh admissions at pre-school, pre-primary and class 1 to the zonal officer by filing an undertaking by June 8, 2012,” the notice stated.

The department has also told schools to display the information given to the zonal officer on their websites and school notice boards. “In case of non-submission or incorrect information by any school, action will be taken under the relevant provisions of law,” said a senior DoE official.

According to this notice, schools that are providing pre-school education shall allow 25 per cent admission to EWS children and disadvantaged groups at pre-school level. Schools that are taking fresh admissions in pre-primary and class 1 will also have to confirm the same at all levels.

However, advocate and RTE campaigner Khagesh Jha said the department is trying to delay admissions. “If it keeps asking for information even now, when will admissions ever get over? The department may not be able to finish admissions and the court may not extend the deadline,” he said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)