Home-alone woman murdered

Home-alone woman murdered

Home-alone woman murdered

An 81-year-old home-alone woman was found murdered at her house in RPC Layout on Monday morning.

Prema Naidu, wife of S Venugopal Naidu, had been living alone since her husband’s death in 2002. The victim is related to senior police officer Ramesh Babu, ACP, High Court Security, who is her cousin.

The murder came to light when Gowramma, the maid, came to the house on Monday morning. Prema, who usually woke up before the maid came home, did not open the door on Monday morning despite repeated knocks.

Suspicious, Gowramma informed Prema’s relatives Murali and his wife, who lived in the outhouse. Peeping into the house, Murali saw Prema lying on the floor in the passageway and the door was locked from outside.

Murali immediately called ACP Ramesh, who forced open the door only to find Prema lying on the floor with her hands and legs tied and a rag stuffed into her mouth. A pillow was also found near the body, possibly used to smother the victim.

Local police were immediately informed and senior police officers including DCP (West) S N Siddaramappa and Joint Commissioner (Crime) Pranab Mohanty visited the spot. Dog squad and finger print experts were also pressed into action.

Speaking to Deccan Herald, Murali said he had last seen Prema on Sunday evening and had neither heard any sounds or screams from the house, nor had seen anyone entering the house. Vijaynagar Police have registered a case.

She was called baby

Prema Naidu was fondly called ‘baby’ by her family. Her maiden name was Nancharamma and she was the daughter of Major P M Kannaiah, a senior officer of the Madras Engineering group.

The family hailed from Rangaswamy Temple Street, Balepet, Bangalore. After she got married to S Venugopal Naidu, the couple moved to Toronto, Canada, where Venugopal was working as an automobile engineer.

The couple returned to India after Venugopal found a job with the State RTO department. He served at various places in the State and retired as Joint Commissioner, Transport Department, in the 90s.

The couple had no children and had adopted Prema’s nephew Sateesh, 32. Sateesh, also an automobile engineer, got married recently and is living with his family at Girinagar. He was working with the Kalyani Motors, but quit recently to start his own business.

A Carnatic singer in her younger days, Prema had taken to spirituality in her old age, especially after the death of her husband. She was an ardent disciple of the Rama Krishna Mutt.

“She was a diabetic and had difficulty walking. But she was a very strong lady, who preferred living alone. Of late, she kept to herself and had become a recluse,”ACP Ramesh Babu said.