Opposition to commercial complex at old bus stand

Utilise 75 per cent of space for bus stand, remaining 25 per cent for basic amenities

Various organisations in unison opposed the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation’s (KSRTC) move to construct commercial complex at the old bus stand premises in Hassan.

Participating in a meeting held under the leadership of MLA H S Prakash at taluk panchayat auditorium here on Friday, the representatives of the organisations opposed the KSRTC’s plan to give more importance to shops. They urged to prepare another plan to earmark more space for the bus stand.

Y S Veerabhadrappa of Praja Vedike speaking to the newspaper said, according to the blueprint prepared by the KSRTC only 14,000 sq ft out of four acres is being reserved for the bus stand.

Parking facility will be at the basement and bus stand and shops would come up in the ground floor. He stressed that the city municipal council had given land for the bus stand in 1960s and that should not used for other purposes.

About 75 per cent of the space should be utilised for bus stand and the remaining 25 per cent for providing basic amenities. If there is a need to generate revenue the first floor can be used for commercial purposes, they suggested.

No malls

Some of the participants opposed for providing opportunity for malls at the bus stand. Tenders should not given to a single person, they stressed.

MLA H S Prasad said space should be allotted on priority for those who have been doing business at the bus stand for years. They were against calling global tenders and stressed to float tenders locally.

KSRTC officer Shivakumar said the opinions of the locals would be conveyed to the central office and request to prepare a new blueprint, keeping in view the local demands.

Divisional Traffic officer Srinivas, CMC president C R Shankar, commissioner Nagabushan and others were present.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry