Victims of Delhi HC blast remembered

Victims of Delhi HC blast remembered

Tearful relatives and friends remembered the victims of the Delhi High Court blast on its first anniversary today, accusing the government of failing to deliver on promises of compensation.

The relatives, who gathered at the High Court premises, complained that they were promised jobs and other facilities but claimed government did nothing for them.
Delhi High Court Acting Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri led judges and lawyers in paying tributes to the victims.

Fifteen people were killed and several others injured when a bomb placed a near reception exploded on this day last year.

Suman Goel, whose father was a blast victim, said the government assured them of a job but "now when we go to a government department and inquire about our compensation and the earning options that we were promised, they treat us like criminals questioning us to the hilt."

Goel is not alone who is unhappy with the governments' attitude. Harish Kumar, Raj Kumar Jain, Mehraj Nizamuddin and Mahesh Kumar -- relatives of other victims also narrate similar grievances.

"Earlier, my family used to depend on me for making ends meet. Now, I depend on my family to get my routine work done," 42-year-old Harish Kumar, whose left leg was blown away by the blast and who was in hospital till November, said.

50-year-old Raj Kumar Jain, who lost his father said, "Officials came to my residence to inquire details of my father and to check whether I am his son. Even after collecting all relevant information, we have not been given the compensation or the job promised to a family member."

Jain's daughter Ishu Jain, a designer who is employed with an export house, has only one prayer that public should not be made to suffer like this. "Our situation is like that of a movie that releases every Friday. People forget it after one week," Jain said.

Mahesh Kumar, a vendor, said, "The impact of the blasts made me partially deaf. I cannot sleep properly because of my injury and the concern about my childrens' future.

"First, the hospital authorities gave me proper treatment and then after media attention waned, I was meted out ordinary treatment. In fact, the hospital refused me treatment saying that I was alright," he said.

He alleged that when he got a check-up done from a hospital near his residence, the hospital authorities informed him that I won't be able to hear properly for the rest of my life.

M S Bitta, the Chairman of All-India Anti-Terrorist Front (AIATF), alleged that government's treatment to family members of the blast victim is the "biggest injustice".

"No government official, whether be it from the state or the Centre, have bothered to come and inquire about the victims' conditions, what they are going through, how they are living etc," he said.

Elaborating on the beefed up security arrangements in the court premises, Delhi High Court Bar Association secretary Mohit Mathur said CCTVs have been installed in the entire court premises and these CCTVs are being monitored from a control room.

"Biometric cards have been introduced and details of everyone entering the fraternity are being stored in the cards. Lawyers' vehicles have been barcoded. Regular meeting with security and court staff are held to ensure foolproof security," he said.

"We're leaving no stone unturned from our side and lawyers are cooperating with security staff to ensure that such incidents don't take place again," he said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)