State erred on Cauvery, says JD(S)

JD(S) Spokesperson Y S V Datta on Sunday claimed that the State government had erred and worsened its case by submitting before the Supreme Court that 38 tmc ft of Cauvery water would be released to Tamil Nadu between October 1 and January 31.

Addressing a press conference in Bangalore, Datta said by making a commitment of releasing 38 tmc ft during the next three months in its application before the Supreme Court last week,  the State government had put the interest of State farmers in jeopardy.

Datta explained that the government had already released 40 tmc ft to Tamil Nadu between June 1 and September 30.

Taking into account the 38 tmc ft to be released till January 31 and further release of water till the end of the water year (May 31, 2013), the State would be releasing 123 tmc ft which is more than the quantum specified by the Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal during a distress year.

The State government by making the commitment will be causing great distress to farmers and also drinking water scarcity, he alleged.

At the present the water levels in the four reservoirs of Cauvery basin — KRS, Kabini, Hemavathi and Harangi - stood at 44 tmc ft. The State’s requirement alone was 30 tmc ft for drinking water purposes and 70 tmc ft to protect its standing crops, Datta pointed out.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry