Beef fest: JNU takes back suspension, show cause orders

Jawaharlal Nehru University on Wednesday revoked the suspension order against a student and withdrew show cause notices issued to three others over plans to organise a controversial beef and pork festival on the campus.

A group of students had been on indefinite hunger strike since last Thursday, asking the university to take back the order and the notices. The protesters had called the action an 'administrative crackdown'.

“Such an action without even giving any evidence is uncalled for. This is to instil fear in students so that they don’t debate or discuss topics which are seen by some as taboo,” said Abhay Kumar, one of the students given a show cause notice for debating about it during the JNUSU elections.

“The student, who was suspended, was not even given a chance to answer to the allegations. The vice chancellor using his special powers suspended the student and set up a protorial enquiry without divulging any evidence which they collected against the student,” said another protesting student.

JNUSU also showed solidarity with the protesting students. Few days back, JNUSU had held a meeting with the administration. According to students, a victory procession followed by a public meeting would be on Wednesday night.

A beef and pork food festival was announced to be held on the campus on September 28. Members of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad and parent party Bhartiya Janata Party objected to it. The party members also threatened serious consequences if it was allowed. This was followed by a Delhi High Court order banning the festival.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry