Homemaker killed in stove burst

Homemaker killed in stove burst

Husband escapes with burns

A homemaker was killed and her husband sustained injuries when a kerosene stove exploded at their house in Mahadevapura on Sunday.

Nagaveni was a resident of Garudacharpalya. Yogesh, her husband, is being treated at Victoria Hospital. The couple have a two-year-old son. Nagaveni was employed in a housekeeping department of a shopping mall in Mahadevapura while Yogesh, is an employee of a garments factory, police said.

On Sunday evening, Nagaveni returned home from work and started preparing food.
The fuel tank of the stove had leaked spreading kerosene all over the kitchen. Nagaveni did not notice the leakage as there was no power in the house, police said. 

Yogesh, who had gone out to get a match box, returned and gave it to Nagaveni along with a candle. When Nagaveni tried to light the stove with the candle, there was an explosion and she  caught fire.

Yogesh rushed to her rescue and sustained  burns. Soon, neighbours rushed the couple to a hospital. However, Nagaveni died on the way.

Their son escaped as Nagaveni had sent him to her mother’s house in the same locality a few hours ago, police said.

Man found murdered

An unidentified man was found bludgeoned to death by unidentified assailants at RMC Yard in the wee hours of Monday.

The body, which bore marks of injury on the head and chest was abandoned near Ullas Theatre in Yeshwantpur, police said.

The identity of the victim is yet to be established. Police suspect him to be an alcoholic vagabond in the area. The body was shifted to MS Ramaiah hospital mortuary for post mortem.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox