Software engineer goes missing, suspected to be kidnapped

A 23-year-old software engineer went missing mysteriously from Nehru Place in south-east Delhi on Sunday. He is suspected to be kidnapped.

The victim Vivek Srivastava, from Banaras in Uttar Pradesh, works for an IT company at Gurgaon. He was also pursuing a course in SAP. He went to attend classes at Nehru Place on Sunday from where he did not return.

Members of his family approached Vasant Vihar police station in south Delhi but were sent to Govindpuri police station. Finally a missing complaint was filed at Kalkaji police station on Monday after an eight-hour ordeal.

“His mobile phone had been put on technical surveillance and efforts are on to trace him. Several teams are working on the case,” said a senior police officer.

The family said the locations of two calls that were registered on his mobile have been traced to Ghazipur and Patparganj in east Delhi.

The victim’s cousin, Gaurav, told police that Srivastava went to the institute on Sunday as he had a test at the centre. After the test he along with his friend left for his house in Munirka. His friend walked with him till the nearest bus stop after which both left for their homes.

“While his friend reached his home, Srivastava never came home after that,” said the officer, quoting Gaurav.

The victim was living with his elder brother and two roommates in a rented flat. When Srivastava didn’t return home, his elder brother and roommates searched for him.

Gaurav told police that on Monday morning that his company’s cab came to pick him for work. The cab driver made a call to Srivastava’s cellphone. The call was received by an unidentified person, who said a man was lying in the middle of a road and that he wasn't breathing. Thereafter, his phone was switched off.

The officer said a call was made from Srivastava’s number to his uncle in Banaras. The caller told him that Srivastava wanted to speak to his mother.

“When his mother was given the phone, Srivastava came on the line and said he had been beaten up brutally and was somewhere near a temple. He told his mother that she should save him or else they would kill him. The phone switched off after that,” the officer added.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)