Four rescued in godown fire

Three families had a narrow escape when fire broke out at a polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipes godown housed on the ground floor of a three-storey building in New Goripalya on Sunday afternoon.

Using ladders, staff of Fire and Emergency Service pulled to safety four of a family who were trapped inside their house on the first floor.

Aslam Pasha, 45, his wife Begum, 33 and their daughters Ayesha, 18 and Fathima, 19 were provided treatment at a nearby private hospital after they complained of difficulty in breathing.  They were discharged by evening. The family was caught in the thick smoke, which had engulfed the entire building situated next to a church.  The families on the other floors, which too were trapped, rushed to safety on their own.

The police said the fire broke out due to a suspected electric short circuit in the small godown around 1.30 pm. Six fire tenders rushed to the spot and put down the blaze. Mohammed Kalam Pasha, owner of the building, had rented out a portion on the ground floor to the warehouse. The JJ Nagar police have registered a case.

Electrocuted

A 38-year-old man was electrocuted near Hennur Cross on Saturday.
He was identified as Karthik, a resident of Gouthampura. Karthik was electrocuted on Saturday evening when he came in contact with a live electric cable that protruded out of a Bescom transformer while he was trying to fix a metal sign board standing on a steel ladder.  
Karthik worked at a vinyl board store at Hennur Cross, the police said.
Karthik was shifted to a nearby private hospital and he died late Saturday night. The Hennur police have registered a case.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)