Bhagirath Palace market gutted

A major fire broke out at a godown of electrical items in central Delhi’s Chandni Chowk on Thursday. No causality was reported.

According to the Delhi Fire Services (DFS), fire broke out at the Bhagirath Palace market at around 5 pm.

“Around 22 fire tenders were ru­shed to the spot and the bl­aze was brought under contr­ol in less than an hour,” a fire of­ficer said. Rescue workers suspected that a short circuit was responsible for the blaze.

“Short circuit may be the cause for the fire in this congested area, as electrical wires hang haphazardly over the roads,” a rescue worker said.

A K Sharma, DFS director, refused to comment on the cause of the fire. “Narrow lanes in the congested locality made it difficult for the fire engines to reach the spot,” he said.

Though rescue workers evacuated the people and barricaded the area, the congested lanes made the job of the fire-fighters difficult.

“The fire broke out in a godown of electrical items which is a 200 square yard warehouse. There were a lot of inflammable plastic and PVC materials which caught fire,” said a fire-fighter.

Police said power supply to the area was snapped for over two hours as a precaution.

Comments (+)