Delhi sees massive protests, victim critical

Delhi sees massive protests, victim critical

Delhi sees massive protests, victim critical

There was simmering public anger over the shocking gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman, with disturbed people taking to the streets demanding justice to the victim. The victim is still in critical condition.

New Delhi witnessed widespread protests by several orga­nisations and students. In other parts of the country, too, demo­nstrations were held. Two of the six accused involved in the heinous crime are still at large. A Delhi court sent three of the four arrested to four-day police custody while the other was sent to judicial custody to undergo an identification parade.

The assault victim underwent fifth surgery on Wednesday and her condition was
described by the Safdarjung Hospital authorities as “critical but stable.” Doctors attending on her said the girl was undergoing treatment for elective abdominal surgery and that the surgeons had to remove her gangrenous small intestine. They said she has lost most of her intestine.

"This was a planned surgery and at this juncture she is responding to treatment fairly well, she is stable but she continues to be critical," hospital Medical Superintendent B D Athani said.

The victim, a physiotherapist, was gang-raped by six men in a moving bus.
Thousands of protesters came out on Delhi streets seeking justice to the victim and scores like her who fell prey to the beastly act. There were protests in front of the residence of Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit, police commissioner’s office and the Parliament House. The police had to use water canons and install barricades at several places in the city to stop protesters.

Hundreds of people marched to the India Gate in the evening to express solidarity with the victim.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh expressed shock over the incident and directed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to ensure that such heinous crimes were not repeated. UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, who visited the victim at the hospital on Tuesday night, shot off letters to Shinde and Dikshit over the incident.

Shinde informed Parliament about a slew of action initiated by the police in a bid to instil confidence among the public, especially women. "It has been decided that there shall be an immediate crackdown on buses having tinted glass and heavy curtains. They shall be impounded immediately, if they do not remove them. All buses will keep their lights on while plying at night in Delhi,” Shinde told the MPs.

The Delhi High Court, taking suo motu action, directed the city police chief to give a status report on the action in two days. The court remarked: “There are two important questions. The first is the investigation in the case. Secondly, the preventive measures.

We want to know what preventive measures have been taken by the police to prevent such incidents.” One of the accused, Vinay Sharma, 20, an assistant gym instructor, told the court on being produced "hang me!"  Sharma said he had done nothing to the girl, but beaten up the boy. The other three have confessed to the crime.