Mangalore diocese sends 3rd consignment to flood victims


 Items of domestic use being handed over to Bellary Bishop Rev Gerald Lobo on behalf of the Mangalore Diocese, following which the Bishop flagged off a truck carrying contributions for the flood victims, at Bishop House in Mangalore on Sunday. DH photo

Bellary Bishop Rev Gerald Lobo flagged off the truck containing the commodities by sprinkling holy water. The Diocese had already sent two loads of items to Raichur and Gulbarga districts. According to the organisers, two more trucks will be sent to Belgaum and Bijapur soon as part of the ongoing drive.

Speaking on the occasion, he said the Bellary Diocese will join hands with the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI) in adopting about 75,000 families and building around 1,000 houses for the flood victims.

He said the Diocese would serve the victims irrespective of their religion and caste.
The Mangalore Diocese had launched its drive to collect goods and money to help the flood victims on October 9. The amount collected in all 160 churches of Dakshina Kannada, Udupi and Kasargod will be pooled on October 25, which will be used for building the   assured 1,000 houses.

The truck sent on Sunday contains commodities worth about Rs 5 lakh, including the purchased items of Rs 1.80 lakh (donated items are extra). However, the organisers said all the items in the consignment are fresh and new. The previously sent two loads too contained articles worth around Rs 5 lakh each.

Mangalore Diocese Vicar General Fr Denis Moras Prabhu, PRO Fr William Minezes among others were present on the occasion.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry