Abhishek R, who wanted to lose excess weight on his body, ended up losing his life.
Abhishek, who was admitted to a private hospital here was to undergo liposuction surgery, was declared dead late on Wednesday due to lack of oxygen supply to his brain.
But his parents allege that it was due to an overdose of anaesthesia, which was administered to him in order to perform the surgery.
Tears rolling down his cheeks, Jay Prakash, Abhishek’s uncle, said: “He used to complain about being teased at college. His collegemates used to to make fun of his weight and he was upset about it.”
While question about whether or not the medical procedure the family chose was the only option left for Abhishek remains unanswered, the fact that his weight (85 kg) had troubled him is no secret.
And, it was he who researched on liposuction and decided that he had to undergo it. Relatives recollected that he had convinced his parents eventually, after he had threatened to leave home, in order to go through the procedure.
Weeks of persuasion
It took Abhishek weeks of persuasion to convince his parents and his conviction was so strong that his grandmother, who is aged over 60 years, also studied about liposuction and finally agreed to his wishes. He knew little that his decision to go through this would cost him his life.
The parents, who are yet to come to terms with the death of their only son, cannot stop talking about his dreams.
“He wanted to study at an IIT and he had spoken to us about it. He had already started his preparations and was to enrol into a coaching class this summer,” Arun, one of his cousins said.