Rape accused alleges assault by Tihar inmates

Rape accused alleges assault by Tihar inmates

Jail superintendent summoned by Delhi court to explain allegation

A Delhi court on Friday directed the superintendent of Tihar Jail to appear before it on Saturday to reply to an allegation by one of the December 16 gang-rape accused that he was badly beaten up by prison inmates on Thursday night.

Accused Vinay Sharma was allegedly beaten up by other inmates and prison officials in which his hand got fractured.

The incident, coming barely 25 days after the main accused Ram Singh was found hanging in mysterious circumstances in his cell at Tihar Jail, has raised several questions of mismanagement in the prison complex.

Sharma appeared at Saket courts with a fractured right hand for hearing in the case on Friday afternoon. His lawyer A P Singh said Sharma told him that he was beaten up by inmates and jail officials inside the prison complex on Thursday evening.
The lawyer said Sharma had appealed for bail to appear in the Indian Air Force examination.

“Furious over this, the inmates and the jail officials bashed him and broke his right hand so that he could not appeal and take the examination,” said the lawyer, adding that Sharma was to appear in the examination for the post of clerk on April 7.
The lawyer then pleaded to the court to summon the jail superintendent of sub-jail number seven to explain the incident and take the issue seriously. He also requested the court to transfer the trial outside the national capital.

On the appeal of the public prosecutor, the jail superintendent has been asked to appear before the court on Saturday to explain the allegation levelled by Sharma.
Accused Vinay Sharma, who came into the court of additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna with a fractured hand, pleaded that he should not be sent back to Tihar Jail.
“Mujhe yahi marwa do par Tihar jail mat bhejo, waha bohot darr lagta hai. Mey yahi se kud jaunga par Tihar nahi jaunga (You can get me killed here but don’t send me to Tihar Jail, I feel afraid there. I will jump from here but will not go to Tihar), Vinay’s counsel A P Singh told the court on behalf of his client.

The court also directed the prison officials to ensure security and safety of all the four accused. The judge also said that the medical examination of Sharma, including X-ray report, should be brought to the court. Refuting Sharma’s allegations, a senior Tihar official told Deccan Herald that Sharma was unwell on Thursday and was continuously vomiting.

“He was immediately shifted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital. There when doctors found that his hand was also broken Sharma told them that ‘he fell in the jail van as he was not well and lost his balance’.”

The court observed that Vinay’s elbow was fractured “due to a fall”.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)