Woman rescued from a decade of confinement

Woman rescued from a decade of confinement

Free finally

Woman rescued from a decade of confinement

The police on Monday rescued a 35-year-old woman from her house at Malleswaram where she was allegedly confined for almost a decade, far from the glare of family and friends.

Neighbours informed the police that P Hemavathi was found lying on the floor of a dilapidated house at 17th cross, Malleswaram. She was found covered with a piece of cloth, unable to move her limbs. Her parents said she had to be fed everyday. She was immediately admitted to Nimhans. She is now under observation at a psychiatry ward.

Hemavathi has spent the last 10 years in this doleful state, the neighbours alleged. Her parents, however, claimed that her condition deteriorated four years ago. While the neighbours alleged family apathy, Hemavathi’s father, Renukappa, claimed that her condition did not improve despite being treated at KIMS and Mother Teresa Hospital a few times.

Sub-Inspector Renuka, who led the rescue team, said the police could not take any legal action as the woman was not illegally or forcefully confined. The indifference of the family was evident, she said. “Hemavathi said she wanted to be treated and rehabilitated. She aspires to lead a normal life.

But when I asked what happened to her and why, she was incoherent and did not answer properly,” Renuka added.
Health Minister U T Khader visited the family on Tuesday morning.

He promised government help for Hemavathi’s treatment. He arrived with a 108 ambulance and immediately got the woman admitted to Nimhans. “It is clear that she was suffering. The doctors who examined her have said she needs further treatment and so we shifted her to Nimhans,” Khader said.

Doctors at Nimhans said Hemavathi was conscious and talking properly. “We are examining her and it will take time before we can ascertain the issue completely. Paralysis has not been confirmed yet. We are also talking to her parents to gather the history of the patient,” said V L Sateesh, Nimhans Medical Superintendent.

Hemavathi’s family could not clearly explain the reasons behind her present condition. Renukappa said she was suffering from chikungunya around four years ago.

Thereafter, she lost control of her limbs. He also admitted that Hemavathi was depressed.