Delay irks people as many remain missing

The UP government came under attack from families of the flood-affected people as well as the political parties for its delayed response.

People from different parts of the state have been running from pillar to post to get information about their missing kin in the hill state without any success. “I have been trying to get information about my parents, who had gone on char dham yatra a fortnight back. They had called up last on June 15. After that there has been no contact with them...all my efforts to meet the senior district officials to seek their help and trace them have been futile,” said Manoj Seth of Azamgarh district. Similar is the story of Sukhram of Ghazipur district. Sukhram’s parents had also been missing since June 15. “The helpline set up by the state government does not work for the most of the time,” he said.

Many other survivors from the state also complained that the state government did not make any arrangements to bring back the stranded people in the initial days.

Officials said that hundreds of phone calls had been received from the concerned kin at the control room in the state capital to register their missing relatives.

“The Uttarakhand government has been informed about the missing persons,” the officials said.

The state government has also been facing flak from different quarters for its delayed response to the tragedy. “The state government set up helpline five days after the tragedy struck Uttarakhand,” said state BJP leader and spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak. He said the government wasted a few more days in taking a decision to send a team of doctors to Uttarakhand.

“The state government's attitude reflects its lack of sensitivity,” Pathak said.

BSP leaders also attacked the Akhilesh Yadav regime for not taking immediate steps to bring thousands of stranded people from UP, who were trapped in Uttarakhand.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry